It is an in vitro fertilization (IVF)
procedure in which a single sperm cell is injected directly into the ooplasm. This technique is used in order to prepare the gametes for the obtention of embryos that may be transferred to a maternal uterus. With this method, acrosome reaction is skipped.
Indication for ICSI Procedure
- Fertilization failure or poor fertilization in previous IVF cycle
- Auto conserved frozen sperm from cancer patients in remission
- Ejaculatory disorders (eg, electro-ejaculation, retrograde ejaculation)
- Congenital bilateral absence of the vas deferens
- Failed vaso-vasvasostomy
- Obstruction of both ejaculatory ducts
- All indications for epididymal spermatozoa
- For man with high sperm DNA fragmentation
For Cryopreserved Oocytes
For Couple Scheduled for PGS/PGD
Steps Involved in ICSI
- The woman is stimulated for follicle production and egg recovery as in IVF.
- Single sperm is taken from the male partner’s semen or surgically extracted from his testes or epididymis.
- The mature egg is held with a specialized pipette.
- A very delicate, sharp, and hollow needle is used to immobilize and pick up a single sperm.
- The needle is then carefully inserted through the shell of the egg and into the cytoplasm of the egg.
- The sperm is injected into the ooplasm, the needle is carefully removed and oocytes left for the fertilization in an incubator.
- The eggs are checked the following day for evidence of normal fertilization.
- Once the fertilization is successful, the embryos are placed directly into the woman’s uterus.
Side Effects of ICSI
Problems can occur during ICSI procedures. Here are some potential issues that could arise during the process:
- Your eggs may become damaged.
- The embryo might fail to grow after the fertilization.
- Some people speculate that the ICSI process might lead to higher rates of genetic defects compared to other fertility treatments. But, the birth defects most commonly associated with ICSI can usually be fixed with surgery.
The success rate of IVF-ICSI treatment in our centre & other best centres all over the world is about 35-40%